Re: Feature Request

Patrick Kellaher wrote:

I have three requests for inclusion into Nautilus:

1) Make it easier to change the default file browser to the non-spatial
file browser.
This would definately be nice. The nautilus preferences would be a nice place for such a setting. Although I think the current lack of an easy widget to change the behaviour is on purpose. So the developers ensure that people at least try to use the spatial mode instead of turning it off right away because they are not familiar with it.

2) In the Spatial file browser create a menu bar with an Up button and
an address bar (for use with things like themes:// which is given in the
docs)
The problem with an address bar in the window is that you can only show the current path in this bar. If you enter another path it can only be opened in a new window (See below why). My suggestion is to show a single address bar in the panel and open the corresponding window when an entry is made.

3) In the Spatial file browser make it easy to change if you want sub
directories to open in a new window or the same window.
I don´t think you have understood the spatial idea. The thing that makes spatial browsing special is that each folder on the disk is associated to a certain window. The window placement and size is stored to make it easier for a human to remember this association. If you open all folders in the same window you don´t do spatial browsing. In this case you better use the browse mode with the tree in the left part of the window.

btw. I am no developer of nautilus. Like you I can only make suggestions.

Christian Schneider