Re: FEATURE: Icon Resource in application binaries

So I guess we should just blame the guys who write applications and don't provide desktop entry for GNOME or a simple way to launch the app (other than the command line) after the user installed'it.

Thanks Mike,

--
Ionut Cotoi <cotty cotty iren ro>
ITC Networks

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 17:58, Mike Hearn wrote:
On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 17:47 +0300, Ionut Cotoi wrote:
> Hi Mike
>
> I open in nautilus a directory containing 10 binaries, it will show me
> the same icons for all of them, which is the icon associated with
> binaries from /usr/share/pixmaps something...

Yes ... why are you opening a directory with 10 binaries? That's not
something users would ever normally do - actually I'm a developer and
it's not something I ever do either. This isn't Windows or MacOS where
users are directly exposed to binaries, in Gnome it always goes via an
abstraction layer like .desktop files.

> I want to be able to differentiate and choose the binary I want to
> run, without reading the name, just looking at the icon.
> Why is this so hard ??

It's not hard. It's just not a problem 99.999% of people have. It would
also need to interact properly with icon theming and such.

thanks -mike