Re: THE LINUX REMOVABLE DEVICE PETITION

Hmm, I was rather talking about Linux/*BSD when I said 'OS-wide'. Not
strictly for apps using gnome-vfs.
IMHO it's just stupid to get a solution for this problem in Gnome, one
in KDE, and whatever other projects that attempt to solve this
problem. 'Cause in the end everyone is doing exactly the same thing,
but can't be used by all programs.
I think something like this should be done by the kernel, using some
sort of 'events' (DBus could be a possible helper here, just got some
patches), it's just impossible to handle this 100% correct in
userland, or am I wrong?

I've also been thinking about this stuff, how to solve it (need it in
ivman), only found one possible solution: keep track of file
descriptors. But that's almost impossible to do in userland. We tried
it by letting FAM monitor /proc (see my blog for more info on this),
but this is no good solution. A wrapper around open() and close()
would be perfect, but seems impossible, unless we get into the kernel.

By the way: if some good (Linux-specific) solution can be found for
this, it could also be possible on PDA's running Linux ;-)
I know I'm talking a little linux-only, but well, thats my main target.

I'm not saying the gnome layer shouldnt be there, or is bad, or
whatever. I just think this is a problem that should not be fixed by a
DE, but should be system-wide.

Just my .02

Nicolas

--