Re: FEATURE: Icon Resource in application binaries

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Mike Hearn mike-at-navi.cx |nautilus| wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 17:47 +0300, Ionut Cotoi wrote:
> > Hi Mike
> >
> > I open in nautilus a directory containing 10 binaries, it will show me
> > the same icons for all of them, which is the icon associated with
> > binaries from /usr/share/pixmaps something...
>
> Yes ... why are you opening a directory with 10 binaries? That's not
> something users would ever normally do - actually I'm a developer and
> it's not something I ever do either. This isn't Windows or MacOS where
> users are directly exposed to binaries, in Gnome it always goes via an
> abstraction layer like .desktop files.

How about a user who installs firefox from the tarballs? There's no
installer (or at least the wasn't one last time I tried) so there is no
menu entry. Also the trend is to not provide menu items for a lot of
applications because otherwise the menu is too cluttered.

Real users sometimes need to do something the developers didn't think of.
Should gnome make it that hard to do it?

Martijn Vernooij