lost side bar and location toolbar

While upgrading finally to nautilus 2.6.3
I lost the "side bar" (left window) and the location toolbar, somehow.

I do not see something like view->side bar or view->location toolbar!

I'm running nautilus on top of gnome2 on top of debian/unstable.

Looks like I missed something really general.

Any advise from someone who's not as blind as I am
and may have a usable hint what to read next?

Is that behavior caused by nautilus or gnome?

Rolf