Nautilus Fan: Nice & Nasty

In concept I love the Gnome-Nautilus concept and where its going.
In Sarge I was impressed with the direction, in SID happy that some things have been fixed but not very impressed with that single naked window, first thing I did was make browser mode the default.

The multi window concept may be efficient and geeky good, but its not intuitive, plebian users will just think it sucks. If you want the multi window concept, then my feeling is that it would be a good idea if one can turn the Tree into another window, like EMELFM.

Anyway this I can live with... there are TWO things now that really irrate the hell out of me, and I think it really spoils nautilus.

1) Pressing "F" repeatedly does not move one through a list of files... on that subject "f" should come just before "F", not after Z, yes thats ASCI, but hey we're human. I watch people especially ex MS people on linux and almost without fail, they say, "the file is gone". No human, f comes after X... huh!

2) The above is also livable, but this is not... if you run a long operation, like launch a script from nautilus in a terminal, thats it, nautilus is dead. Cant move to another file and say look at something in gedit, cant do anything. Its still responsive, but if you do try anything else, thats the end of X, stuff starts to ignore you. On that, what I think is a threading issue or lack off, try look at say 30,000 files in nautilus, goodbye X. This you have to fix, its the only reason I use another file manager now... if lots of files or going to launch a backup script... I have to use EMELFM.

I bitch at you, only because I like what you have done, appreciate what does work very well, and dont want to see a desktop like gnome and nautilus get written off, just because of a few little things.

Thanks for the nice parts so far, hope the nasty stuff is in fixit pipe.

N Mandella

Get FREE Web space - click to learn more! http://groups.msn.com/people.msnw?pgmarket=en-za