Speed improvement when changing file permissions?

Hi,
	I recently had some strange permissions on a bunch of music files. I
thought I would fix them by selecting them all, and setting the correct
permissions via nautilus. Un-selecting partially selected check boxes,
selecting un-selected boxes, etc., is a *very* slow procedure (approx 30
seconds per click). Doing a similar operation via command line took only
a second.

	I was wondering if the operation could be sped up by buffering change
requests by maintaining a mask of composite changes and only applying
after a timeout, or upon the dialogue being closed. Do usability or
other pitfalls lie that way?

Cheers,
Ryan