Re: how to invoke custom thumbnailers?

> Has anybody an idea what might be wrong here?

I maintain some similar scripts, see
http://www.flyn.org/projects/nautilus_thumbnailers/

> Could the mime type be wrong? "file" gives a strange result
> file -i punat.xcf
> punat.xcf: application/octet-stream

The file command uses a different MIME database that nautilus/GNOME.
You should right click on a file to determine its MIME type as far as
GNOME is concerned.  I think this is a major issue and have contacted
the author of file to see if he would be interested in supporting the
freedesktop.org standard.  He does not seem interested yet.

--
Mike

:wq