Re: [RFC/PATCH] inotify -- a dnotify replacement

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 06:17:40PM -0400, John McCutchan wrote:

> According to everyone who uses dnotify it is.

I don't buy that.  I have used dnotify and signals where not an issue.
Why is this an issue for others?

> > 3) dnotify cannot easily watch changes for a directory hierarchy

> People don't seem to really care about this one. Alexander Larsson
> has said he doesn't care about it. It might be nice to add in the
> future.

I don't know who that is and why it matters.

Without being able to watch a hierarchy, I'm not sure inotify buys
anything that we can't get from dnotify right now though.  It's also
more complex.

> The idea is to encourage use of a user-space daemon that will
> multiplex all requests, so if 5 people want to watch /somedir the
> daemon will only use one watcher in the kernel. The number might be
> too low, but its easily upped.

If you are to use a daemon for this, why no use dnotify?

   --cw