Re: [RFC/PATCH] inotify -- a dnotify replacement

On Sun, 9 May 2004, John McCutchan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been working on inotify a dnotify replacement.

Help me here a little John I'm a little slow on the uptake.

> inotify is a char device that has two ioctls: INOTIFY_WATCH and
> INOTIFY_IGNORE Which expect an inode number and an inode device number.
> I know that on some file systems the inode number and inode device
> number are not guaranteed to be unique. This driver is only meant for
> file systems that have unique inode numbers.
>
> The two biggest complaints people have about dnotify are
>
> 1) dnotify delivers events using signals.
>
> 2) dnotify needs a file to be kept open on the device, causing problems
> during unmount.

So we are saying we open the device file to do our stuff instead of
keeping a file open?

In kernel functionality could be provided by calling appropriately exported
routines?

This implementation caters read/write notifications only at this stage?

Ian