Re: fam using lots of CPU

> It would be interesting if fam is monitoring the directory you are
> working in.
> Check
> $ fuser -v /directory
> or
> $ lsof | grep /directory

Yes, I see a bunch of things there:

                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/home/jm/phd/jmvalin/overflow
                     jm         3340 ..c..  zsh
                     jm         3346 ..c..  batchflow
                     jm         3347 ..c..  grep
                     jm         3348 ..c..  grep

> Your experience is backing my impression that file alteration monitoring
> via events (kernel directory notification using dnotify) is less
> efficient than people tend to expect...
>
> What you could try:
>
> to disable fam in xinetd
> or
> recompile fam without the dnotify patch.

Actually, the main thing is that I don't think fam should ever be
enabled by default on a system. Such unpredictable behaviour is simply
not acceptable from a daemon.

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin