Re: suggestion for FTP in nautilus

Spider (D.M.D. Lj.) wrote:

begin  quote
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:11:13 +0100
Andreas Nilsson <nisses mail home se> wrote:

I thought about this and came up with a solution of the problem and
made  a mockup.
http://ramnet.se/~nisse/diverse/temp/nautilus_ftpmockup.png
As you can see in the mockup, the folder on the server has a globe in the background. Pehaps an svg image would be suitable, so it can scale
when the user changes the size of the window.

Try doing this:
take a picture.  drag it to the ftp window, and hold the "Alt"  key
down. Then select "Set as background"

Does this cover what you want?
Yes, setting a background for a folder somewhat solves the problem, but that don't solve the whole issue. That way the background is only set for that particular folder and not the child folders, letting me have to set a background for every single folder that contains the site (a very exsausting process if you manage a very large site with lots of subfolders). A solution might be to have a check button in the folder background choose to include subfolders, but that adds more settings for a new user to learn and is therefore not a nice solution.

(admitted, there could be default backgrounds, but I'm not sure how that
would be implemented.  part of a theme?  )

//Spider
A possible solution is to take a scalable version of gnome-globe, blow it up, put a semi-transparent layer in front of it and use that as a default background for ftp-windows. I belive all complete themes has the gnome-globe (I think so anyway, correct me if I'm wrong) and that way it will fit in well with the rest of their desktop. Well, I only draw the pretty pictures and have no idea if this is possible. :)
- Andreas