Re: arrow keys not jumping to next line

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 10:42 +0200, David Christian Berg wrote:
> On Mi, 2004-10-20 at 09:11 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:21 +0200, David Christian Berg wrote:
> > > Is it on purpose that pushing the go-right key doesn't take you to the
> > > next line when you've the last icon of a row selected, and the go_left
> > > doesn't take you to the end of the previous line, when you have the
> > > first icon of a line selected? I couldn't swear you were able to do so
> > > in 2.6, but I know that it feels strange not to be able to.
> >
> > Once we supported using tab to navigate like this, but it conflicted
> > with tabbing to change focus, so that was removed.
>
> Ok, I understand that you don'whant tabs to to the job, but what about
> the arrow keys? I mean this there anything wrong from the usability
> point of view to jump ot the next or the previous line? The cursor in a
> text does so, so it would be kinda consistent.
> Anyways, I'm just posting to know, whether or not it's worth an RFE or
> even a bug, or if people think of it as the "wrong" behaviour.

I'm not sure. Its sort of a weird behaviour for moving around what is
basically a grid. Consider the desktop, should moving right at the right
side of the screen move to the "next line"? On the other hand, it is a
useful operation, if you want to select a range of icon in the sort-
order.

What behaviour does other file managers and apps with similar UI have?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fast talking albino matador from a doomed world. She's a violent
streetsmart mermaid with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!