Re: Full-URI in window title?

Kevin C. Krinke wrote:
On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 14:11, Raul Acevedo wrote:

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 10:59 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 18:12 +0200, Jürg Billeter wrote:

In nautilus 2.8.0 the windows would have "me on someserver" resp. "me"
for the local folder as title, so as long as they are on different
servers you can easily distinguish them.

And since in spatial mode you can only have one window open to a
particular folder on a particular server, you will always be able to
distinguish them.

Actually, no.  That's one of the reasons I stopped using spatial.  I can
have three "foo" windows open at the same time, and without looking
carefully at the contents or clicking on the lower left button to see
the hierarchy, I can't tell which is which.  Me "remembering" which one
was last opened at what position is not useful.

If you have three directories /etc, /opt/etc and /usr/local/etc and have
them all open then yes you will have three spatial views labeled 'etc',
however what Davyd was indicating was that you can't have one directory
/etc opened in two different spatial windows. Nautilus raises the first
one when you try and open it again (which is a beautiful spatial thing).

I think having the full URI in the title would be very useful.

I don't think the *full* uri would be very nice to look at (personally I
think seeing file://bleh or ssh://foo is just ugly and not something I'd
want to force Aunt Tulip to work with) but I do agree something needs to
distinguish different directories with the same name. Perhaps just
enough parent folders included in the name would be good. So for the
above /etc, /opt/etc and /usr/local/etc you'd have one titled "etc", the
second "opt/etc" and the third would be "local/etc".

I think that solution would be much easier on the eyes and still give
the title distinction we're looking for.

What about only doing that if there is more then one window open with the same name

Jaap