Re: List view help

Am Dienstag, den 02.08.2005, 16:20 -0500 schrieb Richard Mancusi:

> csv = text document (with comma-separated values)
>
> Also how do I assign an icon to a file type - not a specific
> file, the entire type?
>
> Both were easy in SuSE-9.2 (Gnome 2.6) - so I suspect
> that I am simply looking in the wrong place.

No, I have to disappoint you here. It is not simple anymore. It is
generally considered to be an admin's job.

I wonder why you need the short MIME descriptions. If you think this is
really a priority, you can write an email to the XDG mailing list [1]
trying to advocate the idea of adding short descriptions to MIME types.
Having "PNG image" and "Portable Network Graphics image" could be
useful, after all. If you just want a downstream solution (hint, hint
this is not collaborative/social), you'll have to edit

/usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml

and run

update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

afterwards.

The icon assignment should work by entering

mkdir -p ~/.icons/gnome/48x48/mimetypes &&
cp <myicon_sized_48x48.png>
~/.icons/gnome/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-ogg.png

Note that in the file name identifying the MIME type "application/ogg",
'/' was replaced by '-' and the image filename was prefixed with
"gnome-mime-".

Good luck!