commander

> From: Manuel Amador <rudd-o amautacorp com>
> Subject: Re: commander

> Because it conflicts with the design goals for Nautilus.

> It's a bit like asking DaimlerChrysler if the Mercedes Benz SLK could
> include a 4x4 SUV Mercedes Benz ML350 mode.  Where the car would
> actually turn into an SUV by the press of a button.  (Now that I think
> about this, sort of like Konqueror).

> I'd recommend you install the right tool for the job.  If what you want
> is two-pane shortcut-driven usage, you can either open two nautilus
> windows in browser mode and arrange them side by side, switching among
> them with alt+tab, or install another file manager and put a nice icon
> in the panel.  You can run Konqueror under GNOME if you desire.

Come on man, you know that what you say is not right. Using two windows with "internet explorer"-like interface side by side siply sucks.

May I ask what are the design goals of Nautilus and, if they exclude a commander-like interface, why can't they be changed?

Installing another software is not right for two reasons:
- as microsoft proved, if a sistem comes bulded with a software the majority won't look for another piece of software even if it's better (see internet explorer)
- there is no usable commander for linux (except midnight commander which is text mode)

I would like to ask the developers, if they decide to exclude a "commander" option for nautilus to do a poll first.

Best Regards!
Alex.