Re: Global templates

Hello Danny,

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:

This is not possible for the exact reason to prevent distributors (or
worse, applications) from including "a few" default templates with gnome
(like "New docbook xslt dtd schema document", which obviously everyone
and their brother needs ;)).

Don't you think it's a bit strange to hold back on a certain functionality that would benefit users, unexperienced ones in particular, because of the possibility that it might be abused?

To reiterate my comment on bug 312468:

I agree completely that the menu should not contain dozens of entries by default. But not trusting distributors to handle such a feature responsibly is a bit condescending. We need this, so that when for instance Abiword is installed, all users get a 'Abiword document' item under their right mouse button. Besides reducing the time needed to create a new empty document, this would 1) drastically improve the discoverability of the Templates feature; and 2) help the user to use GNOME in a document-oriented/spatial fashion.

Relying on users to create their own templates means that the majority of them will never learn about this possibility.

If you as distribution want to put them in per default, put them
into /etc/skel/Templates before creating the user, so the user later can
at least get rid of the stuff he doesnt need and can change the
templates.

This is not a working solution. What I have in mind is that for instance a 'Vector drawing' template appears in all users' templates once the system administrator installs the distro-provided Inkscape package, and that it disappears again when it's deinstalled. Of course, users should be free to "trash" (hide) global templates that they don't need.

I'm sure you noticed that the $HOME/Templates folder is visible to the
user. This is because it is for the user to put stuff in and edit or
remove stuff. A global directory would only be annoying to the users.

Ah yes, that reminds me of bug 136836. "Templates" does not mean anything to non-English speakers.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen