Re: Desktop slowness issue - freeze break request

On 8/31/05, Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com> wrote:
> Now, perhaps they're using a different window manager, or perhaps
> they're clicking on the desktop enough for this to cause problems, but
> the Mandriva bug Frederic linked to in that report suggested that
> mapping any new windows was causing problems, which means that closing
> windows is likely to have the same problem, and that's one you
> probably can't avoid--it may, in fact, be the problem.

Yes, it is really slower to move or close windows. Even doing right
click on background takes 3 or 4 seconds to popup.

Yeah, I don't see how the patch could help with moving or closing of windows issue (those cause expose events, not focus ones).  It should help with the right click on background as that does cause a focus event, but as soon as the right click popup menu goes away the background is exposed again and you have the same problem...  so we really need the Xorg bug fixed either way.

However, delaying the right-click menu popup 3-4 seconds isn't very cool and making the delay happen after the action is already selected, while still annoying, is much nicer for the user.  So the workaround seems that it may be justified for that.  Also, although I'm skeptical this patch will help this particular bug that much, it does look like it'll save on resources in general (even if only a small amount for those unaffected by this Xorg Radeon bug), it looks right, and I don't see it causing any ill side-effects.  So I'm giving 1 of 2 approvals anyway.

> So, although the patch looks safe enough to me, I'd really rather see
> if it actually helped anyone first.

I've integrated the patch in Mandriva cooker.

I'll be able to test it on my home system tonight and report tomorrow.

Cool, thanks.