Re: search branch merged

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 11:07 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> >>Supporting more filter types. As you know Tracker supports a vast array
> >>of metadata (as per the freedesktop spec) which neither Beagle nor the
> >>simple non-indexed search supports atm so I think we need some query
> >>capability call in the backends. Tracker also supports operations
> >>(equals, contains, <>, >, <, between) which are more relevant depending
> >>on the metadata type being searched (ie a date would use between, =, <,
> >>supports date ranges. Are you happy to support this if I create a patch?
> >

> > The plan was always to support more filters. So, any sane ones that most
> > backends can support would be accepted. Of course, its a little
> > problematic if its not possible for the "simple" backend to support
> > them.
>
> Well yes I take it the simple one would have problems with any metadata
> like "document author". I was thinking of just having a function in the
> backend which indicates what metadata it supports :
>
> EG:
> gboolean
> nautilus_search_metadata_supports (const char *metadata_name);
>
> which returns TRUE if the backend can filter on it.

It gets complicated with saved searches. What if you saved a search and
then someone else re-ran it with a different backend.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a genetically engineered Republican vampire hunter from the 'hood. She's
an enchanted paranoid snake charmer in the witness protection program. They
fight crime!