nautilus does not start anymore after trying to connect to smb

Hi!

My nautilus does not start anymore and I can't figure out why.

Thats what I did:

I tried to connect to a smb share on a windows pc which hang forever in
the connection dialog and also stalled any other nautilus operations,
e.g. clicking on desktop icons...
After several retries with killing nautilus and restarting I gave up on
connecting to the smb share and logged out.

The log out of gnome also hang forever and I therefore killed it with
ctrl-alt-bkspc.

After a new log in nautilus did not come up again :-(

Therefore I tried to start nautilus in the console.
But nautilus -c hangs forever after printing:

running nautilus_self_check_search_uri
running nautilus_self_check_file_utilities
running nautilus_self_check_file_operations
running nautilus_self_check_directory

and the last few lines of an strace of the hanging nautilus shows:

[...]
rt_sigsuspend([] <unfinished ...>
--- SIGRTMIN (Unknown signal 32) @ 0 (0) ---
<... rt_sigsuspend resumed> ) = -1 EINTR (Interrupted system call)
sigreturn() = ? (mask now [RTMIN])
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, NULL, [RTMIN], Cool = 0
rt_sigsuspend([] <unfinished ...>

Any ideas how to recover??
Running bonobo-slay did not solve it.

Thanks a lot, Fabian