Re: Nautilus-CD-burner and multisession (non-)support

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 11:29 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 18:01 +0200, Mikko Rauhala wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I'd like to bring some attention to Nautilus-CD-burner's lack of
> > multisession support in the hopes that this would generate enough active
> > demand for the feature for the developers to reconsider their WONTFIX
> > resolution to bug #120384¹. Usually, I'd leave it at arguing for the
> > feature in the bug report (which I have done several weeks ago), but
> > this is, in my book, an essential basic feature for a CD burner, never
> > mind that we're talking about the CD burner that many people take as
> > representative of Nautilus', and Gnome's, effectiveness. Simplification
> > is good, and nautilus-cd-burner owes much of its attractiveness to its
> > simple interface, but there is such a thing as oversimplification.
> >
> > The only reason given in #120384 for not supporting multisession is that
> > CDs are cheap, and wasting them is therefore apparently not a concern.
> > This I also take issue with; first, I think that Gnome is not only being
> > targeted for rich countries, and the relative price of a CD in the third
> > world may not be that insignificant. Also, waste is waste, and I don't
> > think Gnome should really encourage, let alone "dictate" it (for users
> > of default Gnome software) without a good reason. More arguments can be
> > found in the bug report¹.
> >
> > Also, adding multisession support would allow one to naturally resolve
> > another bug, namely overwriting CD-RW discs without warning (see bug
> > #160365 and the one it's marked as a duplicate of). One could simply add
> > an "Overwrite" checkbox while defaulting to appending. The current
> > approach appears to be to warn the user of impending doom, but this
> > probably requires an extra dialog box to be remotely useful, and this
> > again would be more intrusive than a simple (and, for multisession
> > support, necessary) checkbox.
> >
> > In case some might take this personally, I suppose I should mention that
> > although I obviously think that the Nautilus-CD-burner developers have
> > made a mistake in this particular case, I mean no disrespect to them;
> > after all, everybody makes them, and aside from this single issue,
> > they've given us the best free data CD burner there is, in my opinion.
> > This is also why I think it's a darn shame that I can't really endorse
> > it for general use, and why it'd be nice if people who share my concerns
> > would politely share them also with the developers in the hopes that the
> > WONTFIX verdict would be reversed.
>
> The maintainer of nautilus-cd-burner these days is hadess
> (hadess hadess net i believe), and he's not on this list.

Oh, apparently its now:
William Jon McCann  <mccann jhu edu>

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an oversexed playboy matador with a robot buddy named Sparky. She's a
brilliant junkie snake charmer from the wrong side of the tracks. They fight
crime!