Re: [Patch] Resize icon slider for file properties (try no. 3)

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 23:58 +0200, Raphael Bosshard wrote:
> This is again an attempt to add a resize slider for file icons to the
> file properties dialog, updated to work with nautilus-cvs.
>
> The patch solves following problems:
>
> - Help! I have to use a keyboard. How do I resize file icons like my
> mate next door?
> - Help! I want to have several icons exactly the same size. How to do that?
> - Help! I want to stretch a file's icon in a folder, just like I do on
> the desktop.
>
> Screenshot:
> http://home.zhwin.ch/~bosshrap/programming/Nautilus%20with%20icon%20scaler.jpg
>
> However; this patch has (still) a problem; the view has to refreshed
> manualy. I still don't know how to force the fm-icon-container to
> reload. Any help from an experienced nautilus hacker on this topic is
> appreciated.

Right now there really isn't a good way to do this. Partly this is
because the stretching and icon size feature is really a special feature
of the icon view only, so there is no "global" icon size setting for
files.

Anyway, I'm not sure this feature should take so much space in the UI. I
mean, it already has a menu item and we already removed the context menu
item in non-desktop folders to unclutter the ui. Wouldn't it be better
to make the current stretch work from the keyboard instead. You could
just handle arrow key presses when the stretch handles are up to mean
"change icon size".

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an obese flyboy photographer fleeing from a secret government programme.
She's a chain-smoking mute socialite who don't take no shit from nobody. They
fight crime!