Re: Drag 'n drop 'n rename?!

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 17:39 +0000, smurfd wrote:
> So, im sitting here, draging files, dropping them, and then manually
> renaming them as they are put into the right location. Takes a
> while...
>
> So, im thingking, wouldnt it be sweet to have a extention to nautilus,
> so that when you drag a file, hit alt, in that menu, where you now got
> like, "copy", "move", "link" you get another option like "copy and
> rename" or "move and rename" or both.
>
> Where you, once you have dropped your files get small input window (if
> it is one file/folder) asking for the new desired name.
>
> And if there are several files, you get a abit more advanced renaming
> input. You could like rename it the same start, ending with a number.
> say : file001.ext, file002.ext. you get the picture. And maby perhaps
> some other stuff aswell.. like changing all extentions to all of the
> same and or stuff like that.
>
> That something that imo would be super sweet to have. I mean, that
> shouldnt be rocket sciense to do. i belive gThumb has some
> multi-renaming scheme, where it renames several pictures to look the
> same.
>
> not something extremely nessesairy, but just something that would ease
> up file shuffeling in nautilus.
> (i have a feeling i have seen this feature (or similar) somewhere
> before, i Cant remember where though)
>
> Sounds nice?

I'm not sure it is really a common enough operation to chain these
things together like that. However, it would be very nice to support
muliple-file renames.

I once had the idea of allowing renames in the property dialog for
multiple files. Say you select multiple files and bring up the property
dialog, and all the files start are of the form "fooXXXXbar.jpg". It
would be cool if the entry for the name allowed you to edit the "foo"
and the "bar.jpg" part of the names, while displaying an uneditable
symbolic representation for the XXXX part.

This would be a very natural way of doing multi-file renames that
doesn't involve writing complicated rename rules with variables in them
or anything like that.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a war-weary overambitious paranormal investigator from the Mississippi
delta. She's a cosmopolitan antique-collecting snake charmer from the wrong
side of the tracks. They fight crime!