Threadsafety and UI responsiveness

I do see the benefits of simplicity in Nautilus being thread-safe, but
wouldn't allowing multiple threads to update the UI concurrently give
better responsiveness?

Furthermore an even bigger gain than responsiveness is that
thread-safety would open up for better and easier interaction with other
programs.

On the implementation side of things it is a common saying that
thread-safety should be considered from scratch when designing an
application.
	As I see it, this need not be a problem. The transition to
thread-safety could be incremental. There's no need for it to happen
from one day to the other. Well I know I'm no threading expert but I
have successfully done this on medium-sized (Python-) projects before.

Well, just a thought inspired by the thread:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2005-June/msg00128.html

Cheers
Mikkel