Re: Associating a volume icon with its contents

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 19:10 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 19.10.2005, 17:21 +0200 schrieb Alexander Larsson:
> > gnome_vfs_volume_monitor_get_volume_for_path() allows you to get a drive
> > for local paths. I guess you could just compare the current uri with the
> > list of connected volumes to detect that case.
>
> What about network shares? Maybe we need
> GList *gnome_vfs_volume_monitor_get_volumes_for_uri
> (GnomeVFSVolumeMonitor *volume_monitor,
>                                                     const char *uri);
>
> or
> GnomeVFSVolume* gnome_vfs_volume_monitor_get_volume_for_uri
> (GnomeVFSVolumeMonitor *volume_monitor,
>                                                     const char *uri);
>
> depending on whether multiple volumes for the same URI are possible.

Its hard to implement these. There really aren't "network volumes" of
the same sort as for unix files. For unix files, each file is on a
mount, and that mount is represented by a volume. For network uris there
is no such thing, all there is is connected servers which act more like
shortcuts into some place on a network (or local!) uri.

You can look at the first part of a uri and match it to the connected
server uri to make a guess of whether they are on the "same" volume, but
you could easily be fooled by things like symlinks, and there might be
no or multiple connected servers that match your check.

> > However, are we really sure this is a good idea? It'll add yet another
> > way to do the same thing, filling up the menus with stuff, and I'm not
> > sure its such a natural place for it that people will find it easier
> > than the other ways. Or am I wrong?
>
> It is at least more discoverable than the unmount keybinding for
> single-button mouse users (i.e. most G3/G4 users), considering that we
> don't unmount a volume when moving it to trash.

I think that shows that at the very least we should make the
eject/unmount context menu items appear in the main menu too, like all
other operations do. I.E. If you select a volume, then Edit->Unmount
would eject that, like all the other items in the Edit menu affecting
the selection.

Where would you place the "Eject the volume this folder is on" menu
item, and what would you call it?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a war-weary Republican gangster living undercover at Ringling Bros.
Circus. She's a supernatural green-skinned snake charmer who inherited a
spooky stately manor from her late maiden aunt. They fight crime!