Misleading file transfer speed to USB flash drives

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 as a new convert to Linux. I had a major
problem with writing many large files (mp3s) to USB flash
drives. When clicking-right on the drive icon on the desktop
and asking to Unmount the volume, I get an error message, the
icon dissapears and if I unplug the drive, the data are not
present on it.

After a lot of Google/forum search I learnt that the transfer
of the files is asynchronous and when trying to unmount, the
OS is trying to write the data from some 'cache' to the flash
memory stick. This explains the very high apparent speed of
file writing to the USB drive, in fact I think it only shows
the progress of caching data for later writing.

In conclusion, the progress dialog should probably indicate
that the files are not immediately written on the disk. I
don't know what's the best solution for this problem but it is
really very, very annoying to see quick data transfer and in
fact not to really have it happen.

Thanks,

Cosmin

PS I'm not sure whether this is the list to be contacted for
this kind of bug but if you have any better suggestion, do not
hesitate.

3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34?/mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34?/mn)