Re: Singe click selection with checkboxes

Am Sonntag, den 04.09.2005, 17:42 +0200 schrieb Kristoffer Lundén:

> (I) want to select a few files without activating them.
> What I really wanted was a way to simply click on the files/folders as
> easily as activating them. I was thinking about middle clicks and
> other things, but then it struck me: why not simple checkboxes? It
> would even make lots of sense for total newbies, since it's quite a
> common metafor.

While I find your remarks on issues with single-click interfaces
interesting, I don't think your solution is convincing. Having that many
UI elements in the interface would simply clutter the directory view.
IMHO not many users activate multiple files at once, except for queueing
files in music or video players.
Howerver, I think it would make sense to have some kind of toggle button
for notebooks, which allow you to select rather than activate  (cf.
composite keynav, just that the modifiers are sticky), i.e.
<special-button-press> => clicks on files are treated as selection =>
<special-button-release>. I think we already provide means to lock a
particular modifier through our accessibility framework. It would be
excellent if two short subsequent presses of ctrl could be bound to
"lock ctrl" and a later press to "release ctrl".

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>