Re: [PATH] nautilus places sidebar

On mar, 2006-08-08 at 15:40 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 21:27 +0200, Xavier Claessens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Following what I said in gnomevfs ML[1] here is a patch for the places
> > sidebar. It now list all unmounted and user-visible drives followed by
> > user-visible volumes. It is simpler since gnomevfs removed drive for
> > mounted partitons (/dev/hdX doesn't have a drive anymore).
> >
> > [1]
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-vfs-list/2006-July/msg00045.html
>
> I don't understand this patch. We already don't show non-user visible
> drives or volumes. The only thing that changes is that with the current
> code the volume icon for a mounted cdrom appears in the same position
> that the drive icon was in when it gets mounted, whereas with your patch
> all the empty drives are at the top, but when mounted they move down
> below the other drives.

Here is the reasons why I did this patch:

 - The code is cleaner, easier to understand when we doesn't have 2
loops imbricated.

 - Seems better to me having unmounted drives in the beginning, but it
can be a mistake because its place change when it get mounted.

 - The order depend only on the gnome_vfs_volume_compare() function for
all volumes, without distinction if it have a drive or not. In the
current code volumes that have a drive are above volumes without drive.
Having a simple order is important to be sure all "places list"
everywhere in the desktop are sorted the same way. For example nautilus
and gtk *never* had the same order ! (do they use
gnome_vfs_volume_compare ?)

Thanks for reviewing !

Xavier Claessens.