Re: Using invalidate_extension_info in python extensions

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 21:51 +0000, Jason Field wrote:

> I would expect that the time would get printed every half a second. What
> seems to happen is that I get a couple of prints at the start, and then
> a print every time I refresh the view in the Nautilus window. Is the
> nautilus extension keeping hold of the Python interpreter lock, or in
> some other way stopping Python executing other threads?
>
> I tried working around this limitation by running a server in a separate
> instance of Python, and piping serialised file objects over a socket,
> but the NautilusFileInfo objects don't serialise correctly with pickle
> (it was a long shot :) ).

In general nautilus isn't threadsafe. However, you're of course free to
do whatever you want in a thread, as long as you only interact with
nautilus on the main thread (i.e. via idles).

I don't know how the python threading affects this though. You'd have to
talk to the nautilus-python people about that.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a suave one-eyed farmboy searching for his wife's true killer. She's a
sarcastic tomboy hooker who don't take no shit from nobody. They fight crime!