Icon Placement on the Desktop

Hello,

Will it be possible to specify a region within the desktop
where icons can appear? I have a third party launcher bar
that occupies the top part of my desktop screen
(see attachment).

Most times, applications create or place icons on the desktop
that appear right under the launcher bar and thus hiding the
icons in question. This has two implications. The first is
that I have to move the launcher bar frequently to access
the newly created icon. The second is that it confuses some
of my less technically oriented family members who think one
 or more applications are misbehaving.

Is it possible to provide a means to specify a region where
icons may appear. Or can the default placement behavior be
tweaked to place icons towards the center of the desktop as
opposed to the edges?

Thanks