Re: Nautilus-actions, Nautilus-scripts and Nautilus Extensions

John Stowers wrote:
> Hey,
>
> While I really love the ability to extend nautilus using extensions and
> scripts, I think some unification/consistancy love is needed in this area.
> For example (not bashing nautilus actions[1], which I love) I have been
> thinking about ways to unite installation and configuration of nautilus
> extensions, nautilus scripts and the nautilus-actions extension (phew what a
> mouthful).

 In the nautilus-actions case, I would like nautilus to integrate the
backend:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-January/msg00224.html

> I am prepared to implement these suggestions I would like peoples feedback
> on what is the better approach. I have two current ideas.
>
> Option 1)

 I very much prefer this option.

> Add an additional tab in the Nautilus preferencs. This tab contains a
> listbox listing the installed nautilus extensions AND scripts (but making no
> visual distinction between the two). Each extension/script can be enabled
> via a checkbox. There is also Add, Remove, and Configure buttons.
>
> The configure button is enabled for all extensions that implement the (new)
> NautilusConfigureExtension interface and provides a way to prevent nautilus
> extensions needing their own seperate configuration tool like
> nautilus-actions currenlty does.
>
> The Add and Remove buttons allow better discoverability of the
> extensions(and scripts) functionality to users and provide a simple way to
> install and remove scripts and extensions.

 This would be very cool as we could put known extensions and scripts in
an internet repository and install them from there, so people that want
to enhance nautilus functionality don't have to exit nautilus (and
search the web) to do so. I've always wanted this feature for every app
that can be extended through plugins.