Re: Trash F.D.O compliancy

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 09:39 -0700, Lakin Wecker wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been looking for a place to contribute to gnome for a few months
> now, and my previous patch [1] is my first effort.  This patch allowed
> me to become familiar with the trash in Nautilus, and I started poking
> around the bugs assigned to Trash in bugzilla [8].
>
> I'm curious if anyone is working on making the trash f.d.o compliant
> [2]?  I'd be interested in working on this, but don't want to
> duplicate effort.  As it will be my second go at helping nautilus,
> It'll take a bit of time before I come up with anything that works,
> let alone is ready for inclusion into nautilus. (a solution for this
> may require changes to gnome-vfs). The goal would be to get this in
> for the next major release after 2.14, which gives me at least 6
> months, which should be ample time.   If I do take it on, I'll make a
> web-page that will be updated upon progress, so that it's obvious if
> I'm keeping to schedule.

At the moment nobody is working on implementing the fd.o trash spec in
gnome, but it would be very nice to have it. The trash implementation is
currently one of the nasties areas in Nautilus, so getting it redone is
important. Much of the work would be in gnome-vfs, but there is some
nautilus work needed too.

> If I do work on this, I'll be around asking lots of questions, so I
> hope the developers don't mind.  In addition, I think that a proper
> implementation as detailed in that bug and the f.d.o specs should fix
> a number of other bugs, or at least facilitate getting them fixed,
> [3,4,5,6,7].  I'll take these into account during the process and use
> them as test cases.

Yeah, these would all be helped by a trash implementation like the fd.o
one. I and the other gnome-vfs and nautilus developers will be glad to
help answer questions etc. (Although we're pretty busy all of us, so
don't always expect immediate replies.)

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a suicidal vegetarian cowboy for the 21st century. She's a plucky hip-hop
pearl diver from a secret island of warrior women. They fight crime!