Re: unfriendly(?) startup behavior

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 11:57 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm the maintainer of xfdesktop over at the Xfce desktop environment[1].
>  I'm trying to track down some odd behavior, and it just occurred to me
> to ask this list (I'm a little slow sometimes, I guess).
>
> A little background: xfdesktop is Xfce's desktop manager, in the same
> sense that Nautilus draws the desktop background and icons on the
> desktop.  xfdesktop uses a similar mechanism, creating a toplevel
> "virtual" root window of type _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP and doing all
> drawing to that window.  It also claims the MANAGER selection, and sets
> one or two nautilus-related properties on the real root window, since at
> some point one of us found that some random application looks for it to
> do desktop-related things.
>
> The problem: when Nautilus is started (assuming it's configured to draw
> the desktop), xfdesktop mysteriously dies.  I get the "lost connection
> to X server" message from xfdesktop's stderr, but it otherwise
> terminates normally.  This behavior has apparently been around for quite
> a while (at least a year?), but I've been unable to figure out what
> causes it.

I have no idea what is causing this. "lost connection" is typically
because you get SIGPIPE from the xfdesktop <-> xserver connection. I
can't really see how nautilus could cause that though...

Maybe you could try run both nautilus and xfdesktop with --sync when
debugging this. Then its easier to see which X calls are causing the
problem.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an ungodly amnesiac grifter looking for a cure to the poison coursing
through his veins. She's an orphaned bisexual cab driver who don't take no
shit from nobody. They fight crime!