Re: How nautilus manage drive icons

Le mardi 09 mai 2006 à 10:01 +0200, Christian Neumair a écrit :
> > For volume icons from the desktop, is it possible to make it work like
> > in computer:/// ? nautilus should generate on-the-fly same .drive files.
> > Like that we are sure that at least icons from desktop and from
> > computer:/// react the same way.
>
> Passing around on-the-fly generated files (which would have to be put
> into file:///tmp) isn't a good idea IMHO, because it requires sniffing
> foreach passed-in URI. My proposal tried to address the fact that some
> applications are interested in volumes or drives but not in their
> corresponding files, since the actual volume/drive data can be queried
> from the volume monitor.

Ok. So computer:/// should works like x-nautilus-desktop:/// and
nautilus should never use the on-the-fly generated .drive files. Like
that most problems are solved because icons from desktop aren't accepted
for dropping anywhere.

Maybe after that we could patch gnome-panel to accept drag from desktop
icon and make a special applet based on the GnomeVFSDrive passed.

What do you think about that ? It is possible ?

> > Last problem: what about dropping a volume icon in a folder ? For now it
> > works. If I drop in my home directory the same icon that I did for the
> > panel, I get this file in /home/zdra :
>
> What do you mean by "it works"? It doesn't work!
> The .desktop file just reflects the current state of the volume/drive,
> but not modifications (unmounting, ejection) to it.x

I can right-click and unmount it or whatever is possible by the icon in
computer:///. But yes it is not refreshed, that's the problem.

Xavier Claessens.