Re: Cleanup icons installed by Nautilus

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 16:34 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> There are several icons in icons/ directory. It could be interesting
> remove legacy icons and updated needed icons to match Tango (now GNOME
> too) style.
>
> ## Legacy icons ##
> The following icons are no longer needed and could be removed from cvs.
>
>       * nautilus-desktop.png
>       * nautilus-file-management-properties.png
>       * nautilus-mini-logo.png
>       * Search.png
>       * side_bar_image.png
>
> Alex, OK to remove from cvs?

Yeah, go ahead.

> ## Icons to refresh ##
>
>       * nautilus-launch-icon.png - this icon is only used in About
>         window. The style is very very old. BTW IMHO the icon name
>         should be "nautilus-logo" and should be installed as named icon.
>         A new logo is yet available by Ulisse Perusin, see
>         http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Fridays This new icon is
>         available at multiple sizes and follows Tango guidelines.

Looks good to me. We should probably install it in a nautilus specific
directory and add that to the icon search path with
gtk_icon_theme_append_search_path like dobey shows at
http://wayofthemonkey.com/index.php?date=2006-11-15&month=11&year=2006

That way we won't be putting icons all over the place. Sounds like a
good idea to me.

>       * backgrounds; color; emblems - those icons come from old Eazel
>         Age, a refresh is needed (or we should redesign the Backgrounds
>         and Emblems dialog). Ulisse might work on them.
>       * note-indicator - as above, Tango style and install as named
>         icon. Some note-shaping icon should be available in
>         gnome-applets and/or Tomboy. We could reuse it.
>       * knob.png - this icon is yet using Tango colors. The only
>         non-tango stuff is the pure black border. Trivial to change.

Sure.

> ## Other icons ##
>
>       * audio.svg - is this feature relally useful today? If I'm right
>         it still uses mpg123 (if availabla), while the GNOME multimedia
>         framework is GStreamer.

Well. Some people do still use it, even if its quite an antique
implementation. There has been some ideas how to do a generic preview in
a good way, but thats never gotten anywhere. So, lets not remove this
yet.

>       * text-selection-frame.png - should be used to create the rounded
>         corners for icon captions when selected. Can't we use cairo to
>         do it?

Yeah, that would be nice.

>       * thumbnail_frame.png - used to create a frame around thumbnails
>         for some images. The border here is pure black. Should we sticth
>         to a more Tango-ish dark gray?
>       * chit_frame.png - maybe used in Borders, no ideas about it

Don't ask me about colors and stuff. :)

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a superhumanly strong alcoholic cop on the hunt for the last specimen of
a great and near-mythical creature. She's an elegant tomboy college professor
with a birthmark shaped like Liberty's torch. They fight crime!