Build process can't find libexif :(

Hello Everyone!

I have to use KDE for work, and had installed Nautilus on a previous KDE machine, but now I have a new machine and troubles getting Nautilus installed. When I type "./configure" I eventually get:

checking for libExif... checking for EXIF... checking for EXIF... configure: error: Package requirements (libexif = 0.5.12) were not met:

No package 'libexif' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables EXIF_CFLAGS
and EXIF_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
********** END OF ERROR MESSAGE **********

When I first saw this I got libexif (source) and installed it. I have also verified that it is in /usr/local/lib However, when I run ./configure for Nautilus again, it says that it still can't find it :( I tried looking at "man pkg-config" but it really didn't make much sense to me, neither does the environment variable adjusting. Is there a file that I can edit to give it the path to the files related to libexif? Or is there something to add to the end of the ./configure command that will take care of this?

Help!  I can't stand Konqueror!

Thank You,

Troy McGuire