Re: #1 Feature Request

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 15:33 -0500, Tony R wrote:
> First, I hope this is the right place for feature requests. I didn't
> want to put them in Buzilla, so I figured I'd try here.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Dapper with the default Gnome, and I love Nautilus.
> However, when trying to do something in a folder (or to a file) I
> don't have access to, it refuses to allow me to change it, which makes
> sense. Unfortunately, I have to close Nautilus, run it under sudo, and
> then try it all again.
>
> Would it be possible to have it instead pop up the "password" box like
> for other apps that need sudo? Is it possible to do that in the middle
> of a session, or does it have to be ran as root from the beginning?
> Alternatively, nautilus could close and restart under sudo, activating
> the password field.
>
> I hope that makes sense. I found it hard to put into words. Would it
> be Nautilus, Ubuntu, or Gnome to implement this feature?

I quite understand what you mean, and it would be a very neat feature.
Its also a very complicated one to implement. You never want to run the
whole nautilus process as root, as that would be a huge security problem
and it wouldn't integrate with the desktop (use same settings etc).

What it would need is some form of helper process running as root to do
only the specific operation. This is a lot of work, and nobody is
currently working on it.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an otherworldly alcoholic romance novelist living undercover at Ringling
Bros. Circus. She's a hard-bitten gold-digging queen of the dead with a
birthmark shaped like Liberty's torch. They fight crime!