Re: Need help with mime types & file associations

 but nothing I try seems to have any effect.  I
think the system may have cached its conclusion that my .mesonjar files
are ZIPs someplace, but I cannot figure out how to clear/refresh that
cache.  (I found documentation of a command called
"update-desktop-database" but there is no such program on my test
system.)

This application is necessary to register, that your application can
handle the MIME-types specified in the .desktop file. It should be part
of desktop-file-utils or similar (which distribution do you use? "Apple
Mail" sounds like Mac?).

Yes, I'm mostly a Mac user. I'm doing this testing on a JDS (Java Desktop System) Solaris system provided to me by the customer who wants our application to work on this system, so I don't know much about the details of what's running here.

However, I have just had a minor breakthrough. I was able to get my mime type recognized by adding an XML file to /usr/share/mime/packages and then running "update-mime-database /usr/share/mime". Is this a kosher way for my installer to add our mime type? It definitely worked. But I wouldn't want to do something radically non-standard in our installer.

I also had to execute "nautilus --quit" to get the mime change reflected on the desktop. Do you suppose it's OK to do that in a software install program? Is there a more delicate way to get nautilus to re-read the mime database?

Interestingly, once I had the mime type fixed, the .desktop stuff I had tried "just worked." Now I have to go figure out what I did to make that work, so I'll be able to reproduce it in the installer.

-Joshua