Re: why not include "empty trash" and "eject device" buttons

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 20:18 +0200, David Prieto wrote:
> We already have the "record to CD" button on the disc burner folder, and
> the "edit" button on the saved searches. Shouldn't we start including
> that kind of buttons on other special folders too, to perform actions
> that are important but not necessarily obvious?
>
> We could start by adding an "empty trash" to the trash folder. The
> code's even already there:
>
> http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~weckerl/nautilus_patch.html
>
> Even more important IMHO would be to add an "eject button" for removable
> devices. Currently, many people new to linux or overall IT don't even
> know that USB devices, for example, need to be unmounted before pulling
> them out. This might not matter much in Windows, where data is copied
> synchronously, but is a killer in linux. Most of them just find out that
> the data they had copied "isn't there",  and they don't know why.
>
> Putting an eject button on the folder would be an obvious way to remind
> them what they need to do, and very handy for experienced users too.

I agree with the trash part, Its very likely you want to empty the trash
if you visit the trash, and its unlikely that you have a lot of files
there and need a lot of space for them.

I'm not as sure about the eject button though. Thats gonna be shown in a
lot of places, and quite often be in the way. When you're looking at a
removable media folder its not at all clear that the majority of the
time you'll want to eject it. It might even be say a USB HD that you
keep plugged in all the time.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a bookish drug-addicted messiah who knows the secret of the alien
invasion. She's a cynical cigar-chomping snake charmer with an MBA from
Harvard. They fight crime!