Re: Patch: wider name column in list view

At 5:18 PM +0200 4/2/07, guenther wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 09:09 +0200, Christof Krüger wrote:
 On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 23:30 +0200, guenther wrote:
 > Yes, it does.
 >
 > Double-click the separator, and the column will adjust to best fit. It's
 > the very same behavior and UI (double-click) as used in OpenOffice.org
 > spreadsheet, btw.

 Unfortunately, it does not work as expected. Double-clicking on the
 separator returns to the default size (16 or 32 characters?) and not to
 the "best fit" which would match the longest file name in most cases.
 (Using version 2.18.0.1)

Oops, forgot to follow-up. Indeed, you're right.

Shortly after my post Kjartan pinged me on IRC, and we found out some
details. Turns out the double-click makes GTK+ (?) set the width to some
default value. On the 2.14.x I had available at the time of the post
this indeed is "best fit", as in no file name is cropped. On later
versions the default is not the same, thus double-clicking will not
resize to best fit, but to the default...

Is there a gconf key to change the default behaviour?

Francesco