sporadic multiple nautilus windows at login

I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 which uses GNOME 2.16. Sometimes when I log into the GNOME desktop, a whole slew of random nautilus windows appear for no apparent reason. The number of windows can vary, and is typically between three and six. Also, this is usually accompanied by a failure to display my chosen desktop background and desktop icons. If I log out and then back in again, the problem goes away, only to return on a future login.

The summary above is paraphrased from another user who I know is experiencing this behavior as well. Here is our discussion:

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=56109#56109

If someone could provide assistance as to how to debug this, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Alex