Re: Suggestion: The option to open a folder in a New Tab instead of a New Window.

Isn't 3 windows in one workspace clutter enough? Especially if you are working on files in gedit or the Gimp and want access to various files alongside your work without juggling windows. Either you overflow into another workspace or bounce windows all the time. No need.

To overcome this problem I have made pcmanfm launchers for specific folders (for when I'm doing websites etc and am working with a large number of files in different folders). I have found the tabbing capabilities of gedit incredibly useful as I can have my main style sheet and several html files open at once in the one window. In Firefox I have several pages open at once. In Opera the same thing. Also when I use Konqueror for file or web browsing - at the same time! All tabbed. Obviously the capability is there in the Gnome family of software (gedit) already. I'm not familiar with the architecture of Nautilus, but it should be offered at least as an option.

As tabbing is done in gedit, is it therefore already available as a windows manager feature?

Yours,

dov

Luca Cappelletti wrote:
Hi,

... using Nautilus to work with files in different locations, the desktop
can become cluttered, or the location bar needs to be overused.

Tabbing capabilities could be a windows manager feature and not, in my opinion, a per-application method to organize native-spatial objects like Nautilus file manager.
Today home desktop single users� minimize the use of� multi nautilus istance opened. Trend is to use not more tha 3 windows opened to do some DnD or just copy and paste.
With a 17 inch monitor and 1024x768 resolution you can easy manage 5 or 6 nautilus windows without too much pain (and for generic home desktop single user where "spatial" is targeted it's a very special case of use).
How does you solve this issue using OSX Finder or W98 explorer?

bye,

Luca

--
---
Luca Cappelletti

"...Together we stand, divided we fall."

.O.
..O
OOO

Skype: luca <dot> cappelletti
Linux Registered User: #223411
Ubuntu Registered User: #7221
http://www.advogato.org/person/mutek/
http://persone.softwarelibero.org/person/mutek
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucaCappelletti/
"l'intelligenza �tile per la sopravvivenza se ci permette di estinguere una cattiva idea prima che la cattiva idea estingua noi"

"La chiave di ogni uomo �l suo pensiero. Bench�gli possa apparire saldo e autonomo, ha un criterio cui obbedisce, che �'idea in base alla quale classifica tutte le cose. Pu�sere cambiato solo mostrandogli una nuova idea che sovrasti la sua"

"Uno studioso �oltanto un modo in cui una biblioteca crea un'altra biblioteca "