Re: [patch] [bug 432510] samba filename encoding on none UTF-8 locales

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 10:27 +0900, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there acceptable solutoins?
> I'ld like to fix this problem asap.

I don't think any solution is really right at this time. Neither
solution is ideal, and we add hacks that are visible to the user (env
vars) that we have to keep supporting in the future, and hacks that
doesn't fully fix the issue. And all this is for something that is
scheduled for replacement.

Btw. Your gnome-vfs api doesn't seem right approach either. Filenames
and URIs are what they are, a byte-string that represent the identifier
of the file. We can't convert it to or from anything and expect things
to keep working. That will break when filenames are not properly encoded
or when conversion looses data. The correct API is to have a proper
split in the API about "file identifier" and "file display name". This
is what gvfs does. You keep around both, one to do operations on the
file, and the other to display to the user.