Preferred method to set up your development environment

Hallo,

I've got a problem to connect to a webdav account using nautilus. I want
to take this as an opportunity to start digging into the code and trying
to find out what's going wrong. And maybe I can contribute something to
the Gnome development as I've enjoyed using Gnome for some time now.

To start I've managed to build and run the latest Nautilus from svn in
my stable Gnome 2.16.2 environment on Gentoo. I can imagine that this
approach may lead to some problems tracking the needed dependencies. For
example, the Nautilus I've build now uses all the stable libs from my
distribution. So If I want to track down my webdav problem, I'll also
have to build gnome-vfs from svn and make sure Nautilus uses this
instead, and so on.

So I'm wondering, what's your preferred method to setup your development
environment? Do you use a stable Gnome system delivered and maintained
by your distribution like I did? Or do you use a complete Gnome
development version like 2.17.xx?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Martin Swientek