Re: A new feature in file-manager

Hi All,

I have hacked nautilus to support auto-scaling of files/folders
based upon the access/modifications. Please see the following links
for the screenshots:
With auto-scaling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12703906 N06/1324544035/in/photostream/

without auto-scaling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12703906 N06/1324544053/in/photostream/

Preference window with the auto-scaling as option
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12703906 N06/1324544065/in/photostream/

It provides an option to the nautius-icon-view in preferences window to
enable or disable the auto-scaling.

At now the folders are scaled based upon their modification and files are
scaled based upon access. (because folders' access are very frequent)

Scale range is at now fixed between 1.2 - 0.5. So very frequently accessed
files/folders will be scaled upto 1.2 times and files/folders which are not
accessed/modified within last 15 days will be scaled down by 0.5.

Currently scaling is changed by difference of hours. For example some file is
not accessed or modified in last 30 hrs, it will be scaled to around 1.1.
I would like to make the scaling equation to exponential in future.

If some one know how to fade the icons than instead of scaling we can
change this scheme to fade icons. :)

I have attached the patch for this hack with this email.

Best Regards,
Avadh Patel

On 9/3/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 12:18 -0400, avadh patel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just joined this mailing list. I am looking for a new feature
> in Nautilus File Manager.
> The feature in very brief is described below:
>
> In file manager size of all the icons (including folder, regular file
> icons and thumbnails) would
> change based upon the last access/modification of that file/folder.
> If the file/folder has been accessed or modified very recently its
> icon will be little bigger, can
> be scaled around 1.5 times regular size.  If the file/folder's
> access/modification is within 1 day
> to 1 week than its icon size can be scaled to 1.2 times etc..
> If some file/folder has not been accessed in long time, their size can be scaled to 0.5 or 0.8 times.

I don't think this will look very nice. All the files will have
different sizes causing the layout to be all weird.

I don't think emphasizing recently changed files in some way is a bad
idea, but using size for it is not a good way.