Undefined references to glib-functions when compiling nautilus

Hello,

since a while I am trying to build nautilus from trunk, but what I am
getting all the time are the following errors:

nautilus/src/nautilus-trash-bar.c:121: undefined reference to `g_dgettext'

[ ... and more of thos undefined references to g_dgettext ...]

~/DEV/build/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to
`g_set_error_literal'
~/DEV/build/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to
`g_signal_chain_from_overridden_handler'
~/DEV/build/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to
`g_signal_new_class_handler'
~/DEV/build/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to
`g_signal_override_class_handler'

What is conspicuous is that those functions are relatively new to glib.
So this feels like a problem with my environment (see below), but some
gnome hackers already had a look at it and couldn't find a
misconfiguration there.

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and built the latest glib, gtk+ and eel +
dependencies from svn (without problems).

My environment is the following:

export DEV_PATH=$HOME/DEV
export BUILD_PATH=$DEV_PATH/build
export LIBDIR=$BUILD_PATH/lib

export PATH=$BUILD_PATH/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBDIR
export LD_RUN_PATH=$LIBDIR
export LDFLAGS=-L$LIBDIR
export AM_LDFLAGS=$LDFLAGS
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$BUILD_PATH/lib/pkgconfig
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I $BUILD_PATH/share/aclocal"
export ACLOCAL="aclocal $ACLOCAL_FLAGS"

If you have any clue I would be happy if you share it with me. Also if
you need more information ...

Best Regards
Clemens

ps. Yes jhbuild would be a way out but I believe that it should be
possible to build that stuff without jh and I would like to do that (at
least for now for learning purpose).