Re: Howto rename a file without...

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 4:32 AM, Gilles Dartiguelongue
> <gilles dartiguelongue esiee org> wrote:
>> Le lundi 18 août 2008 à 20:11 -0400, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
>>> So you remove all the ways to access some functionality, and then you
>>> complain that it is not accessible anymore ?
>>> Hmm...
>>>

>> All the current ways, yes. No menus, no context menus, no keyboard
>> shortcuts. Should that stop us from actually renaming a file ?
>>
>> If you think it's not worth the effort, just say so, no need for
>> sarcasm, thanks.
>
> Yeah, sorry.  I should have said that straight click-to-rename was
> intentionally removed from nautilus, since it is way too easy to
> trigger unintentionally.
>
> Maybe it would help if you could describe your use case in some more
> detail, so that we can come up with reasonable constructive answers.
>
> One thing to check out, eg, is the touchscreen-mode setting that GTK+
> already has some support for. Maybe nautilus should react to that and
> offer an alternative way to some functionality if it is turned on...
>
> Matthias
> --

Oh men that makes me sad..
So this feature was in but removed intentionally because it was way to
easy to unintentional trigger a rename...

Oke, a few things about that.
.1 Why remove the feature instead of adding a gconf key set by default
to disabled?
.2 Why is the user protected from that feature (by REMOVING it) if it
doesn't want the protection (like me)
.3 Is this a 1 person decision to remove it or was the majority of the
community in favor of removing it?

I really just don't understand some decisions made in the gnome past
(and present).
In my opinion you should never throw away a working feature! disable
it at the most but nothing worse then that.