Re: Specifying thumbnailers as a service

On Friday 29 August 2008, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

[snip]

> That, combined with Rob Taylor's proposal, brings me to this DBus API:
>
> <node name="/">
>
> foreach ([mime-part] in supported_mime_parts) {
>
>   <interface name="org.freedesktop.Thumbnailer.[mime-part]">

I am not sure you need a separate interface name for each MIME type. Most
likely the thumbnail service will have to decide about the MIME type itself
anyway.

>     <method name="Create">
>       <annotation name="org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.Async" value="true"/>
>       <arg type="as" name="uris" direction="in" />
>     </method>
>     <method name="Move">
>       <annotation name="org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.Async" value="true"/>
>       <arg type="as" name="from_uris" direction="in" />
>       <arg type="as" name="to_uris" direction="in" />
>     </method>
>     <method name="Delete">
>       <annotation name="org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.Async" value="true"/>
>       <arg type="as" name="uris" direction="in" />
>     </method>
>   </interface>

What do others think about having a signal like this

<signal name="Created">
  <arg type="as" name="thumbnails" />
</signal>

I know that "Create" is annotated as async but the client might want to start
using/displaying thumbnails as the come in, e.g. in batches, and not wait
until all requested ones have been completed.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring