ecryptfs directories as nautilus mounts

Hi All,

I am working on integrating ecryptfs private directories (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory) into the Gnome desktop, and want to make mounting and unmounting (or unlocking and locking as we'll perhaps call it) as easy as possible.

As such something like this mock would be great: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17440012/mockup.png. Andrew Walton pointed me towards http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/stable/GMount.html and said it should be possible, but what do we need to do on the mount level for this to work? Currently the mount shows up as: "/home/username/.Private on /home/username/Private type ecryptfs (rw,ecryptfs_sig=xxxx,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=16,user=username)", if that is of any help.

And what needs to happen on the Nautilus front, to get the banner at the top either in either case (I assume the custom icons in the sidebar aren't easy so that isn't necessary)? When the directory is "unmounted" it still exists, just with no contents, except for currently a symlink to the binary to mount it, so we want a banner like the mockup. When it is mounted then we would a similar one allow the user to unmount/lock it.

Any comments on the idea -- thoughts, criticisms or suggestions for integration?

Dustin, I've copied you since you are doing a lot of the underlying integration work and assume at the least I'll need mentoring on this. It seems like if we can land this then we don't want the symlink when it is unmounted but then the terminal ls output isn't particularly useful.

--
Michael Rooney
mrooney ubuntu com