Re: Better name for computer:// place?

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 16:25 -0500, A. Walton wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 12:20 PM, Milan <nalimilan club fr> wrote:
> > [Disclaimer: this is my last annoying message about this subject.]
> >
> > Does my question appear as pointless to all of the developers ? If so,
> > please just answer me two word and I will forget it. I'd just like to be
> > sure that this point has been considered, because there may be solutions
> > if you agree with my point of view.
> >

> > Thanks, and sorry if this thread was just creating useless noise on the list
>
> I think it's pointless, mainly on an infrastructural level. Renaming
> the backend is just going to require a bunch of code changes, cause
> already rotting documentation to fall further behind, trigger a bunch
> of new translations and not really lead to anything better at the end
> of the day. Users coming from Windows are also familiar with the
> location called "Computer", so changing it could be disruptive to
> them. Then you have the trouble of figuring out what you want to call
> it (should it be "System" like KDE? "Devices" like Finder? "Disks"
> even though that's even more ambiguous? one of the other suggestions
> here?), and generating posts like this one with a dozen replies and
> zero consensus (namely because none of the names suggested are
> blatantly obviously better than "computer").

I agree. We've been using this name for a long time already. It would
have to be clearly better for us to force all our users to re-learn, and
i haven't seen any clearly better proposal.

We're also working hard on trying to fix feature regressions and crashes
introduced by the gio rework, so minor things like this is not high on
the prio list atm.